Re: [regext] draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay unreasonably stuck on IPR?

"Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com> Wed, 09 November 2016 12:20 UTC

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>
To: Job Snijders <job@instituut.net>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 12:19:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.173.152.4]
Cc: "draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay.all@ietf.org>, "Livesay, Paul" <plivesay@verisign.com>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [regext] draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay unreasonably stuck on IPR?

No, not at all. Document publication was held up by a single IESG evaluation discussion point that could have been cleared *at any time* if members of the WG responded to the two points raised by Stephen. It might help to read Stephen's ballot position (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eppext-keyrelay/ballot/). Point 1:

"Note: If I am explicitly told that this was considered and participants were ok with the declaration even as-is, then I'll clear."

This never happened. Point 2:

"I think you need to be clear about which of these cases is actually being supported and about the overall sequence of events needed. (If you tell me that you really want to do whatever is in draft-koch, then that's fine but then this draft is probably premature and draft-koch would need to be a normative ref.)"

This never happened, either. Failure to address these two points is what held up the document, not the disclosure that I as an IETF participant was required to make.

> Because Verisign still has the option to provide a more detailed
> Licensing Declaration ahead of the issuance, covering whatever claims
> (if any) will be allowed.
>
> Why has Versign choosen not to provide a Licensing Declaration such as
> option A ('no license'), B ('Free RAND'), C ('RAND') or E ('NOPE')?
>
> In failing to provide clarity to the internet engineering community,
> Verisign is arguably obstructing much needed internet security
> mechanisms.

In my last note I explained why the decision was made to not update the disclosure: we do not know if the patent will be granted, and we do not know which, if any, of the claims will be allowed. We cannot provide a definitive licensing declaration for something that remains unknown.

Scott