Re: [rtcweb] Summary of ICE discussion

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 05 October 2011 12:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 14:07:04 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Summary of ICE discussion

On 10/04/2011 05:05 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:
> On 10/4/2011 10:33 AM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>>

> I've been discussing some options on this with Cullen on the side.  No
> breakthroughs yet, though there may still be some hope.  If there's
> something there I'll post it soon, otherwise assume it didn't pan out.
>
> One observation about the security/attack-vector side of this:  Any
> objection that includes "if an attacker is in a MITM position they
> could trick the rtcweb client into sending media" is an invalid
> objection.  A MITM attacker could inject or re-route any amount of
> traffic they wanted already if they're in the media path.  I'll also
> note that an attacker could be in MITM on the signalling side or DNS,
> but not MITM on the media/ICE routing; those are valid cases to
> consider.  And DNS poisoning doesn't require MITM.

Concur that the first form of the objection is invalid without further
description ... I would note that any proposed solution that allows the
attacker to be MITM on the path for verification of
acceptance-to-receive (such as a hypothetical RTCP-based mechanism where
mechanisms exist to let RTCP use IP addresses completely independent of
the RTP path) would make the MITM objection valid.

(ouch. That was a convoluted sentence. Parse leniently!)