Re: [rtcweb] Video resolution SHOULDs (Re: resolutions in draft-cbran-rtcweb-codec-01)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 29 November 2011 19:48 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 20:48:29 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: "Bran, Cary" <cary.bran.standards@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Video resolution SHOULDs (Re: resolutions in draft-cbran-rtcweb-codec-01)

On 11/29/2011 07:30 PM, Bran, Cary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made changes to the 02 version that reflect this thread and a
> couple of other threads ­ the new text is as follows:
>
> "The following feature list applies to all required video codecs.
>
>     Required video codecs:
>     o  MUST support at least 10 frames per second (fps) and SHOULD
>        support 30 fps
>
>     o  If VP8, then MUST support a the bilinear and none reconstruction
>        filters
Can you get rid of this one?
The VP8 people explicitly want to discourage anything that looks like
we're blessing partial implementation - we want all implementations to
support everything defined in the RFC.
>     o  OPTIONALLY offer support for additional color spaces
>
>     o  MUST support a minimum resolution of 320X240
>
>     WebRTC client implementations will span across a variety of devices.
>     Some of the these devices have fixed formats due to hardware
>     constraints, others like a desktop browser are quite flexible.
>     Instead of placing implementation constraints on the supported
>     resolutions, below is a list of suggested common resolutions for
>     WebRTC client implementations.  The suggested resolutions should be
>     considered only if they can be displayed on the target device.
>
>     WebRTC client implementations SHOULD support:
>
>     o  Resolutions of 1920X1080, 1280x720, 720x480,
>        1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, 640 x 360
>
>     o  A PAL resolution of 576 lines."
This looks good to me. Is there a defined answer to "what's the
horizontal resolution when the vertical resolution is 576 lines", or is
it "it depends"?