Re: [sami] Bringing new work into the IETF

"Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <guyingjie@huawei.com> Fri, 19 August 2011 01:15 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:16:56 +0800
From: "Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <guyingjie@huawei.com>
To: 'David Harrington' <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, sami@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sami] Bringing new work into the IETF

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your attention and such detail suggestion. I really
appreciate it.

I believe there are some misunderstanding. But I appreciate the chance to
clarify our target.

The intention of State Migration is not to standardize VM Migration. The
focus is how to migrate state on network devices when VM is migrating, just
like the name ‘State Migration’ means. How to do virtualization and how to
migrate the VM is out of the scope.

You can do VM migration either by a standardized way(I am not sure there is
a standard way) or proprietary way. It doesn’t matter. The problem is the
state associated with the VM on old network devices, e.g. Hardware Firewall,
Load Balancer or switches, also need to be correctly presented on new
network devices at the new location. Otherwise the running service will have
to be stopped.

The state could be TCP states on Firewall or Session states on Load
Balancer. When migrating state, one may find that he has to migrate state
between devices designed by different vendors. That is why we need a
standardized way to do this.

Currently we are try to narrow down the scope: e.g. do we consider state
migration within a L2 subnet, or also consider state migration between L2
subnets. We will also figure our the state that is essential to service
continuity after VM Migration.

As conclusion, we are not working on VM Migration or Virtualization. We are
not trying to standardize virtualization, VM migration, TCP/IP stacks,
storage, etc. Neither does virtual host configuration in the scope.

Also I would like to know whether there is confusing text in the mail list
description or in my ever reply to the mail list or in my draft that make
people feel that we are working on VM Migration. If there is, I will
definitely revise them at once.

Again, thank you for your detail suggestion.

Best Regards

Gu Yingjie