Re: [sfc] Progression of use case documents in the SFC WG

"Haeffner, Walter, Vodafone DE" <walter.haeffner@vodafone.com> Mon, 31 March 2014 14:43 UTC

From: "Haeffner, Walter, Vodafone DE" <walter.haeffner@vodafone.com>
To: Thomas Nadeau <tnadeau@lucidvision.com>, "Ken Gray (kegray)" <kegray@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 14:42:59 +0000
Cc: Guichard Jim <jguichar@cisco.com>, "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sfc] Progression of use case documents in the SFC WG

Dear all,

1+ ---- I also fully support the WG director's approach for domain specific use case drafts.

In my humble opinion Jim and Thomas proposed the most pragmatic and most efficient way to work out, how network and DC operators utilize SFCs today. To fully understand, we have to analyze and document the domain specific characteristics of today's more advanced SFC deployments, their potential weaknesses and what are the expectations on future-oriented approaches the WG is working on. A detailed understanding of the real thing is key to successful work.

Even though e.g. DCs and mobile networks may be part of one and the same service delivery chain, their SFC use cases and requirements may be quite different. Even if we claim they both use the same middleware boxes/middleware VMs. On the other hand, typical operator use cases for fixed networks are (very often) a small subset of what is seen in mobile. The difference between them is basically in the amount and representation of metadata.

If we have a more clear picture on the domain specific use cases including their metadata dependence and metadata handling we may proceed to try to generalize the documented use cases to support a flexible enough,  but still unique and future proof  SFC specification. I already had a f2f meeting with Hongyu Li last week and suggested such an approach.

Best regards,
Walter