Re: [sfc] Framework

Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com> Thu, 13 February 2014 21:12 UTC

From: Kevin J Ma <kevin.ma@azukisystems.com>
To: Sumandra Majee <S.Majee@F5.com>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Jerome Moisand <jmoisand@juniper.net>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 16:11:31 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sfc] Framework

Sumandra,

  When you say custom headers, do you mean custom message (e.g., HTTP)
  headers, or packet headers?  Placing message-level metadata into
  every packet would not seem to me to be a good use of SFC metadata?
  For a mult-megabyte file, a kilobyte of metadata, relative to the
  file size might be reasonable, however, relative to each packet sent
  for that file, the overhead would not make sense?

  Note: HTTP header insertion is still in-band metadata, it's just may
        not be of any concern to SFC?

--  Kevin J. Ma