Re: [sfc] Framework

Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com> Fri, 14 February 2014 00:19 UTC

From: Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
To: Sumandra Majee <S.Majee@F5.com>, "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, Jerome Moisand <jmoisand@juniper.net>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 00:18:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.192.11.98]
Subject: Re: [sfc] Framework

I see two types of "metadata" being discussed here:

 1. The "flow metadata", like the transactions carried by http flows. They are inserted by applications, or inserted by a service function to pass some "cookies" to the next one. (many proxy based service functions have those capability)

 2. The "Service Chain metadata", that are inserted by "Chain Classifier" or control plane to carry extra information (in additional to Chain ID) for the purpose of controlling the sequence of functions on a chain.

Correct?

IMHO, the first bullet above are specific to applications or service functions internal processing. Many of today's proxy based service functions make changes to data packets, some of them make those changes for other service functions. Those changes won't be in the Service Chain Header field.

Linda