Re: [sfc] Metadata structure

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 13 February 2014 10:31 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, "Paul Quinn (paulq)" <paulq@cisco.com>, Ron Parker <Ron_Parker@affirmednetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:30:53 +0100
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: Sumandra Majee <S.Majee@F5.com>, "sfc@ietf.org" <sfc@ietf.org>, Linda Dunbar <linda.dunbar@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [sfc] Metadata structure

Re-,

There is a need to assess the validity of those cases (and others which are documented in use-case drafts) to avoid over-specification. The WG need to identify the core functionally and ovoid designing a solution that would be much more complex that current practices. BTW, there should be a way to assess to what extent proposed solutions solves the issues raised in the Problem Statement draft.

"Flexibility" cannot be blindly used as an argument to justify more complexity. There are trade-offs; we should be aware of those when making design decision.

I really hope we can follow the principles in RFC1925 and RFC3439; particularly this one:

" In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there
        is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take
        away."

My current position on mandatory piece of information to be included in the metadata is recorded in: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-sfc-design-analysis-02#section-5.5 that is one single code point.

Cheers,
Med