Re: [sipcore] Feature-tags in the Path header field

Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Fri, 17 September 2010 13:18 UTC

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:19:18 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Feature-tags in the Path header field

Hi,

>Didn't somebody else already bring this up a few months ago?

In that case I missed it :)

>IIUC, you are asking if Path can be used with a new parameter
>without any further standards action. Is that right?

At this point I am asking about the usage of feature tags to indicate proxy features in general.

Whether it would require some standards actions needs to be checked.

>If I go back to the definition of Path in 3327, I find that
>it allows multiple parameters of type "rr-param". It doesn't
>define rr-param, but does say the Path header field values
>must conform to the syntax of the Path element from 3261,
>which defines rr-param as generic-param.
>
>So *syntactically* you can put whatever parameters you want
>in there, and sip parsers should not be troubled. But
>legalistically, new parameters can only be introduced via
>standards action.

Correct.

>From a pure syntax perspective it is not a problem.

But, for Contact, A-C, R-C and Refer-To we have defined "feature-param", which in this case would be an explicit usage of "rr-param".

>I suspect the problem 3gpp is trying to address may be of
>more general interest. But its hard to decipher from your
>brief description. Can you provide a more complete
>description of the problem and the proposed solution? For
>instance, diagrams of the signaling and media paths before
>and after the handoff of the call.

Well, I was trying to keep the handover description as short as possible, because the intention was not to discuss it. But, for sure I can provide references if people want to read the details.

The idea was to provide some background information to show that there is a problem, to avoid questions like "You have a solution - where is the problem?" :)

I do, however, agree that the possibility to provide proxy features may be of more general interest, and that is also one reason I raised this issue on the list.

Regards,

Christer