Re: [sipcore] Feature-tags in the Path header field

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Fri, 17 September 2010 13:02 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:03:16 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Feature-tags in the Path header field

Christer,

Didn't somebody else already bring this up a few months ago?

IIUC, you are asking if Path can be used with a new parameter without
any further standards action. Is that right?

If I go back to the definition of Path in 3327, I find that it allows
multiple parameters of type "rr-param". It doesn't define rr-param, but
does say the Path header field values must conform to the syntax of the
Path element from 3261, which defines rr-param as generic-param.

So *syntactically* you can put whatever parameters you want in there,
and sip parsers should not be troubled. But legalistically, new
parameters can only be introduced via standards action.

I suspect the problem 3gpp is trying to address may be of more general
interest. But its hard to decipher from your brief description. Can you
provide a more complete description of the problem and the proposed
solution? For instance, diagrams of the signaling and media paths before
and after the handoff of the call.

	Thanks,
	Paul