Re: [sipcore] Location Conveyance -04 submitted, here's the changes

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Thu, 28 October 2010 06:22 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:23:25 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Location Conveyance -04 submitted, here's the changes

[JRE] What we want to achieve is that there is a certain group of schemes (one or more) that, if sent by the sender, will be supported by any receiver that supports location-conveyance. Assuming the WG settles on SIP/SIPS/PRES as that group of schemes, I think the present words get quite close to what we require. However, as I mention above, the paragraph talks about schemes to send in the request, so there is some ambiguity as to whether the "MUST be supported" includes receipt or not. Hence my proposed word change above.

> effectively
> all 5 schemes
> > >
> > > Several of us have and currently believe that is raising the bar a
> > > little too high.

> being HTTP(S).
> things one way

> response when
> level 400, but
> reject these),
> > > would want to reject.
> > >
> > > The conclusion from the San Diego adhoc bof on this ID
> was to limit
> > > the number of error types to specific different
> actionable ones. At
> > > that adhoc, I had roughly 22 different error types, one
> set included
> > > the ability to indicate which URI scheme wasn't supported
> and which
> > > ones were. That idea was roundly rejected (most strongly by our
> > > newest co-author Jon Peterson).  I believe it was Henning
> (and maybe
> > > Hannes) that wanted the error codes limited as well, and to allow
> > > this RFC-to-be to be extended with an XML body in the
> response that
> > > included a much more detailed error explanation and ways
> detailed in
> > > how to resolve the problem.
> > >
> > > No one has written that ID yet, so I don't know where that
> > > thought is now.
> > >
> > > That said, -04 doesn't have a 494 response articulated because
> > > location specific rejections are for the 424 (Bad Location
> > > Information) response. Jon and I talked just last week
> about what do
> > > we do when an LR supports one URI scheme and receives another URI
> > > scheme (i.e., supports SIP:/SIPS:/PRES: URIs but gets an
> HTTP:/HTTPS:
> > > URI). We couldn't come up with anything that didn't have a lot of
> > > holes in it, so we left it for now.
> >[JRE] Sorry, 494 was a typo, I meant 424. What sort of holes would
> >you have if you specified 401, say, as "URI scheme not
> >supported"?  I guess one difficulty is what does the UAC do about
> >it, if it doesn't have the means for obtaining a reference with a
> >different URI. Was that the sort of hole you had in mind?
>
> [jmp] Jon and I talked specifically about adding a 401 "URI scheme
> not supported", but his point was "what does that really tell you?"
> and I tried to plead that it would mean that this scheme (set) (i.e.,
> SIP based or HTTP based) wasn't supported, and to send the other
> scheme (set). His counter was that what happens when there is more
> than one scheme set to choose from, then what does a 401 really mean
> that a 400 doesn't already? I didn't really have a good answer for
> that one. In other words, if we're only ever going to have a choice
> between SIP and HTTP, then the 401 would work. Once you have a 3rd
> (or more) choice, it all falls apart.
[JRE] I would say that there would be a distinction between 401 (I don't know how to deal with that scheme because I don't support it) and 400 (which would include things like error response to the SIP/HTTP request, or dereference yielded a location that I couldn't interpret (unless that is a 100), etc.).

John