Re: [sipcore] About Join and Replaces Headers: //Replaces header's extension

gao.yang2@zte.com.cn Wed, 06 October 2010 16:31 UTC

To: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
From: gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 00:29:51 +0800
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] About Join and Replaces Headers: //Replaces header's extension

Sure, the type of the media streams is decided by the Offer, usually is
the user of the UA sending the INVITE/Replaces, as you said.

But I said in my example is some different. Please see the flows(I copied
them from Paul's mail, and I add some new notes):

X -------------------- Y
       voice/video

//Y send voice/video session to X. As Y does not know X support HD video,
so he send the call from a normal UE.

moving to (2):

   X -------------------- Y
   |       voice

   +--------------------- Z
         HD video

//Then, X tell Y that his UE support HD video and want to establish the HD
video stream. Please note that, X tell Y by voice, while not by any
signalling.

//Then, Y use a new equipment(Z) to transfer the video stream from the
orignal session. The voice stream is still between X and Y.

===================================
 Zip    : 210012
 Tel    : 87211
 Tel2   :(+86)-025-52877211
 e_mail : gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
===================================

"Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
发件人:  sipcore-bounces@ietf.org
2010-10-01 04:08

收件人
"gao.yang2@zte.com.cn" <gao.yang2@zte.com.cn>, Paul Kyzivat
<pkyzivat@cisco.com>
抄送
"sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
主题

From: sipcore-bounces@ietf.org [sipcore-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
gao.yang2@zte.com.cn [gao.yang2@zte.com.cn]

Nowadays, I am considering requirements about media streams tranfering
between user's UEs, such as transfering active video stream from one
normal UE to one HD(High Definitive) device.

This function is similar to 3GPP's IUT(Inter UE Transfer). But I'd like to
seek a end to end solution, with out SCC_AS's 3pcc call control.

I think we could do one potential extension for Replaces header, as:

The Replaces header could be added with a indication.
For examle, transfer video to HD device, while save the audio at the
orignal device:
The new party(new device) send a INVITE(the Offer with video stream) with
Replaces header, with the indication. Then the UAS of this INVITE can just
transfer the media streams(video) to the new session, and save the other
streams in the origianl session (by a new Re-INVITE to just mute the
transfered media streams).

However, you must beware that in SIP which rendering devices of a UA are
used to render particular media streams is under the control of the user
of the UA, not of the remote UAs that it communicates with.  Therefore,
while an incoming INVITE/Replaces may provide HD video, it is not the
choice of the sender of the INVITE/Replaces that the HD video stream be
rendered on the HD video device.  (Indeed, the sender of the
INVITE/Replaces has no certain knowledge that the recipient UA possesses
an HD video device.)  It is the choice of the user of the recipient UA (or
more likely, his configuration of the UA) that determines that the offered
HD video stream is to be rendered on a particular rendering device.

Within that architecture, there can be no use for such an indication on
the Replaces header.

Dale