Re: [sipcore] About Join and Replaces Headers: //Replaces header's extension

gao.yang2@zte.com.cn Fri, 08 October 2010 01:15 UTC

To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
From: gao.yang2@zte.com.cn
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:13:43 +0800
Cc: sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] About Join and Replaces Headers: //Replaces header's extension

Paul and Dale,

In fact, some of our new designed call flows for the IUT(inter-UEs
transfering) use the Join header frequently. But I think the semantics of
the Join header in a lot of use case is not clear now, as showed in the
previous mails.

Then, what about my comments on the "RFC3911's potential clarification"?
And I think this work is relative urgent for me.

Thanks,

Gao

> Gao,
>
> Sometimes there is value in strategic vagueness/ambiguity.
> To date that has been the case with sip around what media are used and
> what it means when they are used. And its especially the case with
> Replaces and Join.
>
> There is nothing in SIP that says where or how media are rendered. If a
> device has more than one potential device sip says nothing about which
> one. (E.g. using the handset or speaker on a speaker phone.)
>
> In the case of join, as Dale has said, it is really only about joining
> the *dialogs*. There is a presumption that this will result in something

> reasonable happening with the media streams, but its not specified. (An
> exception to this is, I think, conferencing, which does talk about this
> to some extent.)
>
> Going beyond just letting the UAs do what they think is right is a *big*

> step. (The conferencing stuff was a lot of work, and I don't know too
> much about it.)
>
> You might consider whether you could use conferencing controls to get
> the kind of result you want. Otherwise, I think you have a big task and
> had better investigate if anybody else wants to work on it.
>
>    Thanks,
>    Paul

ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.