Re: [Slim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-10.txt

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 01 June 2017 18:16 UTC

To: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>, slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 20:16:43 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] I-D Action: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-10.txt

New info on 2.5 below

Den 2017-05-31 kl. 21:23, skrev Gunnar Hellström:
> [...]
>>> the negotiation decision and dictates to the user e.g. "SPEAK GERMAN
>>> NOW !, or that there is a user interface interaction to decide which
>>> language to answer in, e.g. "The calling part may accept French or
>>> German, indicate here which one you will answer with".
>>>
>>>  We do not want to dictate that kind of tight coupling, and
>>> therefore must allow a number of alternative languages in various
>>> media to appear in the answer.
>>>
>>>  ---Old text 2.5---
>>>   In an answer, 'hlang-send' is the language the answerer will send
>>>     when using the media (which in most cases is one of the
>>> languages in
>>>     the offer's 'hlang-recv'), and 'hlang-recv' is the language the
>>>     answerer expects to receive in the media (which in most cases is
>>> one
>>>     of the languages in the offer's 'hlang-send').
>>>  ---New text 2.5---
>>>   In an answer, 'hlang-send' may be one or a list of alternative
>>> languages the
>>>   answerer will select from for sending if using the media for language
>>>  (which in most cases is one of the languages in the offer's
>>> 'hlang-recv'),
>>>  and 'hlang-recv' may be one or a list of alternative languages the
>>> answerer
>>>   can accept to receive if the media is used for language (which in
>>> most cases is one
>>>     of the languages in the offer's 'hlang-send').
>>
>> Having one language per media in the answer has been part of the
>> draft all along.  I don't recall seeing an objection to this before.
>> Further, Section 3 has said all along that attempting to negotiate
>> multiple languages per media is out of scope:
>>
>>    (Negotiating multiple simultaneous languages within a media stream is
>>    out of scope of this document.)
> <GH>Yes, the user will only use one language. But have you thought
> about the consequences for how to accomplish a negotiation result of
> just one language in a media, and just that language will also be used
> by the answering human?
>
> It will require tight coupling in the user interface of a kind that
> you do not want to discuss. If the UA decides that the answering part
> will send spoken german, then that needs to be conveyed to the user.
> If the UA instead lets the user decide, then there must be a
> question-answer exchange between the UA and the user to enable the UA
> to have just one language for the media in the answer.
>
> We have agreed that some kind of such coupling is needed, and we do
> not specify how. But the requirements on the operation will be much
> less strict if we allow a list of languages per media to be the result
> of the negotiation.
>
> The paranthesis "   (Negotiating multiple simultaneous languages
> within a media stream is
>    out of scope of this document.) " will then apply to the user.
>

> This is a quite new finding from when trying to think through a real
> negotiation, so I am prepared to discuss how strict we should be.
<GH>After the exercise with the negotiation today, I see that I can
relax this requirement.
But it needs to be clear that the negotiated language in a media just
maybe used for language.
So that it is clear that no simultaneous use is normally required.

That leads to
--New text 2.5 ---
   In an answer, 'hlang-send' is the language the answerer will send
     if using the media for language (which in most cases is one of the
languages in
     the offer's 'hlang-recv'), and 'hlang-recv' is the language the
     answerer expects to receive in the media (which in most cases is one
     of the languages in the offer's 'hlang-send').

  ---end of 2.5 -------------------------

Gunnar

> [...]
>>>   Media and language negotiation might result in more media
>>>     streams and language alternatives being accepted than are needed by
>>>     the users (e.g., if more preferred and less preferred combinations
>>>     of media and language are all accepted).  The users are expected to
>>>     sort out which media and language alternatives to really use in the
>>>     session, possibly supported by using refined indications.
>>
>> If you think such text is needed, I suggest putting in a separate
>> document containing advice to implementers, where you can go into
>> detail on how the indications function.
> <GH> You may delete the last phrase after the comma. The remaining
> part describes better the real situation than the current text.
> We take the discussion about refined indications separately.
>

>>>  ---End of change 2.8----

>>>  <GH> The important part was to change from "either" to "any", so
>>> that is good.
>>>
>>>  But we should also be strict about what we call the parts of the
>>> attribute values.
>>>  I prefer to call the whole string after 'hlang-recv:" or
>>> 'hlang-send:' the "value", and the separate language tags or
>>> asterisk then being "parameters" of that value. I think it is
>>> inconsistent to say that "the last value of the attribute value" may
>>> be an asterisk. Better to say that "the last parameter of the value"
>>> may be an asterisk.
> <GH>Did you accept to call the language tags and the asterisk
> "parameters" of the value, instead of values in the value?
>>>
>>>  (I will return to the asterisk with a separate proposal for how to
>>> use its placement for something useful.)
>>
>> Such proposal should go in a separate document containing advice to
>> implementers.

>>>  <GH>I think of the case when a deaf-blind person prefers to send a
>>> sign language and receive a written language. These languages do not
>>> have the same language tags even if they are used in the same
>>> geographic region.
>>
>> Yes, the language tags are different between the spoken/written form
>> of a language and the signed form.  That's what the "essentially the
>> same" means.  Can you suggest a better description of the commonality
>> between these forms?
> <GH>I think "essentially the same" will do. It can mean "in most cases
> the same" as well as "close to the same".
>

>>>  We also have the working cases when I accept to receive Norweigan
>>> but speak Swedish myself, or someone accepting to receive Italian,
>>> but want to speak Spanish themselves, and other similar language
>>> mixes. These cases will more likely be satisfied not by true
>>> language matching, but by never using the request to fail the call,
>>> and let the users sort out the communication with some guidance from
>>> the indications. (both seeing what the other party expects will
>>> prepare them for the a bit unusual language mix.)
>>>
>>>  Your proposed change will work for these cases. Accepted.

>>>  ---Change 5---

>>>  <GH> Note also the change from "sp" to "SP"

Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor