Re: [Slim] New wording for the use of the asterisk in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Sun, 04 June 2017 07:09 UTC

To: slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 09:09:16 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] New wording for the use of the asterisk in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Randall,

This is a contiuation of the discussion under topic "Issues #27 and #32
- simultaneous languages"

Assume that I make a separate draft for indication of preferred
modality. I would then like to use the coding with the asterisk proposed
below.

Knowing that that is on its way, how would you describe the use of the
asterisk in the current draft so that no interop issues appear when the
preferred modality extension is published?

And how would you describe the use of the asterisk in the current draft
so that it will be accepted as a media level parameter?

Right now you say that the asterisk may be attached to any hlang
attribute for any direction.

An implementation following that advice may for an offer attach it to a
modality that is not at all preferred. An implementation knowing the
extension may then take very wrong decisions about how to best start the
session.

I am afraid that in this situation the preferred modality indication
would need to move to a new attribute or parameter, adding even more
complexity.   E.g. a media level attribute a=modalitypref: hi    or a
session level attribute a=modalitypref: written, spoken      (in order
of preference). I would like to save us that added complexity. How?

Regards

Gunnar