Re: header-munging

"D. J. Bernstein" <djb@koobera.math.uic.edu> Tue, 24 September 1996 01:20 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 00:36:27 -0000
Sender: owner-ietf-smtp@list.cren.net
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb@koobera.math.uic.edu>
To: ietf-smtp@list.cren.net
Subject: Re: header-munging

> In some configurations you can infer the proper 'Sender' field from the IP
> address of the client

I can't imagine why anyone aware of the RFC 822 Sender semantics would
want to create Sender except as explicitly instructed by the user.

> But as Keith has already pointed out, the RFC822 'Date' field is the creation
> date for the message, not the posting date,

RFC 822 says no such thing. Have you forgotten the DRUMS discussions?

Dave Crocker thought the same way at first. (So did I.) But then he
asked a bunch of people, and found that _all_ of them interpreted Date
as the moment when the user hit the send button.

Inbar asked some people too, and came to the same conclusion.

Elz didn't really want to define Date, as I recall, but he considered
Crocker's survey to be a strong argument for moment-of-sending.

Conklin also expressed his support for moment-of-sending.

I sent around some Date semantics that specifically said ``the moment
that the sender authorized delivery of the message, for example by
pressing a Send button.'' Nobody complained about that.

In fact, I don't think there was _any_ support for ``creation date''
after Crocker reported the results of his survey.

> It also leaves us with a
> non-null class of problems a submission server isn't likely to be able
> to solve with sufficient degree of generality to be called a real solution

Uh, did you have any examples other than Sender and Date?

---Dan