Re: [tram] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com> Tue, 14 April 2015 13:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 09:06:16 -0400
From: Brandon Williams <brandon.williams@akamai.com>
To: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: "tram-chairs@ietf.org" <tram-chairs@ietf.org>, "tram@ietf.org" <tram@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz@ietf.org>, "gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com" <gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com>, "draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz.ad@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz.ad@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz.shepherd@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz.shepherd@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [tram] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz-13: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On 04/10/2015 11:07 PM, Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy) wrote:
> [...]

I think Stephen was thinking primarily about cases with (D)TLS involved
between the UA and the STUN server. If there's already a security layer
then perhaps it's enough to prove that the auth server approved the
communication and it's OK to skip STUN integrity protection altogether.
My experience suggests that even in a case where (D)TLS isn't involved
some application providers will not consider the risk of skipping STUN
HMACs big enough to justify doing it.

>> - 9: Figure 2 should be way up at the top of the document and not here
>
> In the previous versions it was in the top of the document but moved down after comments received from the WG that WebRTC is only an  example usage of third party authorization.

A few people from outside the WG have commented on having trouble
following the flow of the document on their first read, primarily due to
the lack of a high-level picture early in the document. Moving section 9
back up toward the top of the document would help by giving readers such
a high-level overview early on. The discussion might need to be
generalized a bit in order to serve this purpose, but comments we've