Re: [v6ops] draft-elkins-v6ops-ipv6-pdm-recommended-usage-00

"Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com> Mon, 02 September 2013 22:27 UTC

From: "Ackermann, Michael" <MAckermann@bcbsm.com>
To: Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>, Bill Jouris <bill.jouris@insidethestack.com>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 22:27:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.64.10.35]
Cc: IPv6 Ops WG <v6ops@ietf.org>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>
Subject: Re: [v6ops] draft-elkins-v6ops-ipv6-pdm-recommended-usage-00

Hi Mark,

Regards to what is being done to track response times in today's V4 networks.   The solutions I am aware of and that are currently run by many enterprises, including my own, are proprietary solutions offered by several different vendors.   All are expensive, complex and require a significant hardware/software infrastructure.   These tools require substantial training and usually protracted professional services contracts to design, set up and customize, for maximum effectiveness within any specific environment.     And of course as others have said, the effectiveness of ALL these tools depends upon accurate time synchronization.

It is certainly not my position to denigrate these tools, as we use them and depend upon them for critical network management information.   However, they are expensive to acquire and operate, and the costs go far beyond financial.
To add to the effort, expense and overhead, those of us in our 2nd and third generations  with these tools, realize what huge scalability issues exist as we add additional regions, sites, nodes and applications to the mix.   Each requires agents, collectors, and possibly multiple server/DW components.
 Now Imagine the simplicity, efficiency, accuracy and affordability of something baked right into the protocol as is being proposed in the PDM for IPV6.

My final comment is on the time synchronization we use for these tools today.   In most cases we utilize NTP, which has worked fine for us since we optimized our NTP architecture several years ago.    Not all nodes need to have highly accurate levels of time synchronization.   Some do not need it at all.   NTP lends itself well to these various situations, and enterprises just need to design a NTP infrastructure that achieves the various required Stratum levels for each respective node being monitored.   That can be as easy/cheap as a 3rd level reference clock in a Windows Domain.  Or as accurate as a directly connect Stratum 1 clock source.    Build whatever is required for each needed situation/node.

Hope the above hits on some of the areas you were citing.   In any event I would look forward to exploring some of these areas with you and others jointly.

Thanks

Mike