Re: [VCARDDAV] wg concensus to publish? NO

Rohit Khare <Rohit@Khare.org> Wed, 29 September 2010 00:00 UTC

From: Rohit Khare <Rohit@Khare.org>
To: vcarddav@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:00:56 -0700
Subject: Re: [VCARDDAV] wg concensus to publish? NO

Hi, I’m Rohit Khare, and I apologize for being so late to this list.
Perhaps like other folks, I was aware that there was some work going
on under the brand name of “vCard”; and checked in on the drafts and
this listserv from time to time; but didn’t realize the community was
at WG Last Call until now.

I am concerned that vCardDAV is reusing the brand name and credibility
of a very widely used non-IETF ‘standard’ to advance several dramatic
changes, without taking full advantage of the unique opportunity to
solve some extremely important adjacent problems at the same time.

Almost every successful data storage format has been human-readable
and incrementally editable (see also ‘ASN.1’). Merely using XML
doesn’t make that so, especially when there are opportunities to learn
from formats fielded for exporting 100M+ contacts that could be
considered and rejected for better reasons than “Standards are
good” (w.r.t. sex=1 vs. gender ‘male’ — we’re dealing with social data
rather than medical data, and there are far, far more culturally-
defined gradations of gender than sex alone).

Similarly, DEATH. I stand ready to be corrected, but I don’t know of a
significant fielded system for “contacts” or “social graphs” that has
user experience with such fields. Names are defined by their uses, so
we ought to be able to identify more utility than merely demonstrating
round-trip interop to accept an expansion of the core vocabulary.

Finally, there’s the role of standards as a social forum to solve
industry-wide problems. There are a lot of “investors” in the existing
vCard, but I haven’t been convinced by my (admittedly cursory!)
readings of the list and docs that organizations controlling large
amounts of contact data have put these new ideas through their paces
by exporting (much less, importing) data in vCard4. In this, I appeal
to the circular fact that this work is trying to brand itself as a
vCard successor, so it bears the additional burden of soliciting
support from existing vCard users before it can assume that mantle.

Of course, there’s no end to demands to “coordinate” with other groups
and standards, especially for something as foundational as contact
information. I realize that volunteers who have poured their time and
effort into this process deserve better than an endless stream of
objections or complaints.

I am speaking for myself, in the IETF tradition of individual
participation. Yes, I’ve worked with Tantek on microformats.org ; I
currently work with Joseph Smarr; and I recently worked for the
division of BT that Kevin Marks is at. Heck, DAV itself came out of
our Web research group at UCI (as did REST).

In each of these cases, though, my role was based on more than a
passing familiarity with standards, markup, Web architecture, and
“social” computing.  It has been a few years since I’ve authored an
IETF standard, but I don’t believe the norms have changed enough to
believe that ‘voting’ is any way to come to ‘rough consensus and
running code.’

I’m under no illusion that toting up YES and NO replies to the list is
definitive, or even deserving of equal weight. I also have a lot of
sympathy for the years of work that have gone into these docs and the
frustration that might result from a late-comer voicing ‘principled’
concerns.

However, and with sincere apologies to folks I haven’t even met f2f
yet (including Cyrus, Marc, and the rest of the WG) I have to state
that NO, I’m not comfortable with a Last Call for these two documents
at this time.

Respectfully,
Rohit Khare
rohit@khare.org