Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX

Allan Cargille <cargille@calypso.cs.wisc.edu> Fri, 25 February 1994 21:13 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Allan Cargille <cargille@calypso.cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: need a new name for ADMD=IMX
To: ietf-osi-x400ops@calypso.cs.wisc.edu
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 14:58:15 -0600
Cc: cxii@es.net

> From Stef:
}
} Russ is right on the mark.  WE have been over all this territory too
} many times already.  WE now have a name that no one else has yet
} claimed, so we can claim it now, and we should do it now!
}
} The BGCM (Big Gold Colored Medal) goes to Allan Cargille for coming up
} with INTX!
} ....

> From KLENSIN@INFOODS.MIT.EDU  Fri Feb 25 00:44:13 1994
}
} Yes.  Please get on with it.  This is a clever name, the issue
} of naming should not be an excuse to reopen other dead issues,
} and quibbling will cost far more than an extra character or two.
}
}     --john

Hello everyone,

I thought I'd keep quiet and let the dust settle.  I'm not hearing
disagreement from anyone who participated in the original IMX
discussions, so I'll take that as consensus for INTX, and Wisconsin
will proceed with the registration at ANSI.  Stef, thanks for the
BGCM -- and during the Olympics, too!  ;-)

People have asked how long making the registration will take.  I called
ANSI today to doublecheck on the process.  I need to fill out the
registration paperwork (easy), route it to the appropriate people here
at Wisconsin to sign, and mail it to ANSI.  In parallel with that, I
have to generate the paperwork to get a check cut and mailed to ANSI.
As in any large corporation, getting a check approved and written is a
slow process.  It will probably take 2 or 3 weeks for that to occur.

Once ANSI has _both_ the check and the paperwork, they have 10 days to
process it (but usually this only takes a few days).  After they have
processed it, a 3-month public review period begins.  If there is no
challenge by the end of the review period, they send us a letter back
informing us that we have been assigned the string.

The other question is how soon we should just start using the string.
I would be comfortable using the string as soon as I've gotten the
right signatures here at Wisconsin, which should happen next week.

However, the only document written so far merely summarizes the
arguments for registering it, says we should do so, and explains how
INTX PRMD registration would work at the IANA.  We don't have
any written procedures about how operations will work.  Should that be
written before we put it into service?  Or should we put it in service
and figure it out as we go along?  Either would be fine with me.
Perhaps the more Internet-style solution is to start using it and
gradually figure out what we're doing?

One last point.  Certainly everyone on the x400ops list is welcome to
participate in this discussion.  However, many on that list may not be
interested in the topic.  The cxii list is not directly related to this
topic either.  Should we move this to a different list?  One option
would be the us-admd@es.net list.  Another option is to begin a new
list.  Comments?

Cheers,

allan