Re: [108attendees] Meetecho participant pics

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Mon, 27 July 2020 22:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:02:18 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: John Levine <ietf@johnlevine.com>, 108attendees@ietf.org
cc: rgm@labs.htt-consult.com
Subject: Re: [108attendees] Meetecho participant pics

--On Monday, July 27, 2020 16:36 -0400 John Levine
<ietf@johnlevine.com> wrote:

> In article
> <0bca5ca1-1f1e-f13c-f64b-7f9787be6271@labs.htt-consult.com>
> you write:
>> Exactly my concern.
>>
>> I don't HAVE a Wordpress account; why do I need one?
>
> A few seconds of clicking reveals that Gravatar is run by
> Automattic which is better known as Wordpress.com. That's why
> you need a Wordpress account, it *is* Wordpress.
>
> They have a detailed privacy policy here:
>
> https://automattic.com/privacy/
>
> It's pretty reasonable, no sale of info to third parties, the
> most evil thing they do is use your profile info to target ads
> on their site, which doesn't apply to Gravatar since it's not
> providing ads, just mapping hashes of addresses to pictures.
> I've had my Gravatar set up for ages including for some
> addresses that only Wordpress knows and I've never gotten any
> unexpected spam to those addresses.
>
> I suspect it wouldn't be terribly hard to use the Datatracker
> pix instead but I'd put it pretty low on the list of things to
> do.

While I share Christian's and Bob's concerns --and your
explanation makes me feel only slightly better-- your last
comment seems key to me.  A very large number of changes were
made to Meetecho since we last used it for IETF 106 in November.
I inferred from comments made during one of the "test sessions"
that most were made at the behest of IETF leadership and staff.
>From my perspective, at least some of those changes (including
the apparent need to queue separately to send audio and video
that was noticed in a couple of sessions today) were steps
backward in UI quality.  Given all of that, getting these
pictures/avatars up was a justified expenditure of programming
time and energy because?  Or, to put it more closely in terms of
your comment, if this wasn't worth doing right (by pulling
pictures from the Datatracker), why was it worth doing at all?

    john