Re: [aqm] [tsvwg] Who supports tsvwg adoption of adding ECN to L2 or tunnel protocols?

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Tue, 05 November 2013 18:41 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 18:41:30 +0000
To: Piers O'Hanlon <p.ohanlon@gmail.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines@tools.ietf.org, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>, AQM IETF list <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] [tsvwg] Who supports tsvwg adoption of adding ECN to L2 or tunnel protocols?

Piers,

I tried to state exactly how ECN can benefit (2nd para of intro
below), rather than make overblown claims. You seem to be saying I
didn't succeed? I can't see how to do any better. Suggestions?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
ECN removes nearly all congestion loss and it cuts delays for two
main reasons: i) it avoids the delay when recovering from congestion
losses, which particularly benefits small flows, making their
completion time predictably short [RFC2884] and ii) as ECN is used
more widely by end-systems, it will gradually remove the need to
configure a degree of delay into buffers before they start to notify
congestion (the cause of bufferbloat). The latter delay is because
drop involves a trade-off between sending a timely signal and trying
to avoid impairment, whereas ECN is solely a signal not an
impairment, so there is no harm triggering it earlier.

PS. Thx for supporting words.

Bob