Re: [aqm] Who supports tsvwg adoption of adding ECN to L2 or tunnel protocols?

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com> Tue, 05 November 2013 00:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 00:00:26 +0000
To: Andrew Mcgregor <andrewmcgr@google.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: Pat Thaler <pthaler@broadcom.com>, John Kaippallimalil <John.Kaippallimalil@huawei.com>, draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-encap-guidelines@tools.ietf.org, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>, AQM IETF list <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] Who supports tsvwg adoption of adding ECN to L2 or tunnel protocols?

Andrew,

Thx for supporting words and offer of help.

At 23:04 04/11/2013, Andrew Mcgregor wrote:
>This seems like valuable work.  One question is, can we put in scope
>notification that losses are NOT due to congestion?

Eyooow. That really does not belong in this scope.

This is about the interface between lower layers and the ECN field in
the IP header. We can't really talk about new semantics in lower
layers that aren't even defined in ECN at the IP layer.

Naively, one could imagine some text treating the ECN field as 4
opaque codepoints, and propagating  a similar 4 opaque codepoints
from each lower layer protocol. Then if something new were defined in
IP-ECN like a non-congestive loss codepoint, it could also be defined
in lower layers...

But that's naive, because each lower layer has it's own constraints
and ways of handling concepts like "ECN-capable transport", none of
which easily translates to a simple mapping of codepoints.

Explicit signalling of non-congestive loss is a research problem, because...
* Clearly a link cannot signal that a loss was not due to congestion
using the lost frame itself (there aren't any bits :)
* So the link would have to signal in another frame that didn't get corrupted.
   - That frame may go to another process that didn't see any loss;
then what does the process do?
   - or the link has to use DPI to signal only in frames going to the
same process as the lost frame.
   - that means the link has to understand all transport protocols

There's other hard problems
* A transmission loss doesn't always mean there is no congestion loss
* At my last count, there were at least nine different reasons for
packet loss. If we had 4 bits spare in each lost packet... :)

Bob