Re: [aqm] Who supports tsvwg adoption of adding ECN to L2 or tunnel protocols?

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Tue, 05 November 2013 20:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:50:11 -0800
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
To: Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe@bt.com>
Cc: aqm@ietf.org, tsvwg IETF list <tsvwg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] Who supports tsvwg adoption of adding ECN to L2 or tunnel protocols?

On 11/5/2013 10:59 AM, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Joe,
>
> I envisage that a very brief standards track doc that explicitly UPDATES
> the relevant IETF tunnel specs will be written, and it will refer to
> this doc for rationale.

Tunnels need to handle ingress/egress translation of all signals in the
header. This is no different.

My concern is that putting these recommendations in separate places
gives an opportunity for different groups to have different
interpretations of that sort of translation, and that's a bad thing IMO.

Joe

> See Appendix A (outstanding items), which I have also highlighted when
> presenting each time:
>
>     2.  Consider whether an IETF Standard Track doc will be needed to
>         Update the IP-in-IP protocols listed in Section 4.1--at least
>         those that the IETF controls--and which Area it should sit under.
>
> Does that address your concern?
>

> Bob
>
> At 18:40 05/11/2013, Joe Touch wrote:
>> IMO, these guidelines ought to come out in a single recommendation for
>> tunnels; we had a draft of that in INTAREA but insufficient momentum.
>>
>> Piecemeal recommendations are likely to be ignored/lost.
>>
>> Joe
>>
>> On 11/4/2013 11:36 PM, Michael Menth wrote:
>>> +1
>>>
>>> We need such guidelines for consistent congestion management.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Michael

>>> --
>>> Prof. Dr. habil. Michael Menth