Re: [aqm] AQM schemes: Queue length vs. delay based

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Mon, 18 November 2013 13:02 UTC

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:01:18 +0100
To: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
Cc: "Rong Pan (ropan)" <ropan@cisco.com>, Naeem Khademi <naeem.khademi@gmail.com>, Preethi Natarajan <preethi.cis@gmail.com>, "aqm@ietf.org" <aqm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [aqm] AQM schemes: Queue length vs. delay based

On 18. nov. 2013, at 13:44, Scheffenegger, Richard wrote:

> [chair hat off]
>
> Hi Michael,

>> Maybe we disagree about the goals... why would you want to allow a burst on an already congested link?
>
> How do you define congested link?
>
> You will want to be burst-tolerant on a link running at full capacity - but is such a link already congested?

I'd say no, this is just perfectly saturated. I was thinking of a link running at full capacity + a non-empty queue.

BTW, there was talk about how to define congestion and how to define congestion control at the AQM meeting, during Fred's presentation. If we need text for this, it's worth looking at the ICCRG archives, I remember a long and boring discussion about these definitions early in the life of ICCRG.

> In any case, defining a scenario that would lead to excessive buffering delay in the drop-tail case, and comparing this for various AQMs should be documented.

Sure

Cheers,
Michael