Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9490 <draft-iab-m-ten-workshop-02> for your review

Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com> Mon, 09 October 2023 21:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 16:31:18 -0500
To: Tommy Pauly <tpauly=40apple.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, Zaheduzzaman Sarker <zahed.sarker.ietf@gmail.com>, ietf@hardakers.net
Cc: Mallory Knodel <mknodel@cdt.org>, iab@ietf.org, auth48archive <auth48archive@rfc-editor.org>
From: Jean Mahoney <jmahoney@amsl.com>
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9490 <draft-iab-m-ten-workshop-02> for your review

Tommy,

Thank you for your response. We have updated the document accordingly:

    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490.txt
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490.pdf
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490.html
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490.xml

    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490-diff.html
       (comprehensive diff)
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490-rfcdiff.html
       (side-by-side comprehensive diff)
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490-auth48diff.html
       (diff of updates made during AUTH48)
    https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc9490-auth48rfcdiff.html
       (side-by-side diff of updates made during AUTH48)

We have a question on 9). Please see below.

On 10/6/23 6:51 PM, Tommy Pauly wrote:
> [...]
>>       their environment requirements in exchange for technologies that
>>       prove their clients are being good net-citizens.
>> -->
>
> I’ll ask Wes to help answer this one, as I believed he had written that section.
>>

>> 8) <!--[rfced] We found alternate sources for both the [GRUBBS] and [KUEHLEWIND]
>> references. Would you like to update these references?
>>
>> [GRUBBS] https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity22/presentation/grubbs
>> [KUEHLEWIND] https://www.ericsson.com/en/blog/2022/6/relays-and-online-user-privacy
>>
>> Original:
>>    [GRUBBS]   Grubbs, P., Arun, A., Zhang, Y., Bonneau, J., and M.
>>               Walfish, "Zero-Knowledge Middleboxes", August 2022,
>>               <https://github.com/intarchboard/workshop-m-
>>               ten/blob/main/papers/Grubbs-Zero-
>>               Knowledge%20Middleboxes.pdf>.
>>
>>    [KUEHLEWIND]
>>               Kühlewind, M., Westerlund, M., Sarker, Z., and M. Ihlar,
>>               "Relying on Relays", August 2022,
>>               <https://github.com/intarchboard/workshop-m-
>>               ten/blob/main/papers/Kuehlewind-Relying-on-Relays.pdf>.
>> -->
>
> For consistency, it might be best to have all of the references be to GitHub?
>>

>> 9) <!--[rfced] The [KNODEL] reference is an introduction to the pearg
>> Internet-Draft [I-D.irtf-pearg-safe-internet-measurement].
>>
>> Original:
>>    [I-D.irtf-pearg-safe-internet-measurement]
>>               Learmonth, I. R., Grover, G., and M. Knodel, "Guidelines
>>               for Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet", Work in
>>               Progress, Internet-Draft, draft-irtf-pearg-safe-internet-
>>               measurement-08, 10 July 2023,
>>               <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-pearg-
>>               safe-internet-measurement-08>.
>>
>>    [KNODEL]   Knodel, M., "Guidelines for Performing Safe Measurement on
>>               the Internet", August 2022,
>>               <https://github.com/intarchboard/workshop-m-
>>               ten/blob/main/papers/Knodel-Guidelines-for-Performing-
>>               Safe-Measurement-on-the-Internet.pdf>.
>>
>> Appendix A lists the following:
>>
>>    Iain R.  Learmonth, Gurshabad Grover, Mallory Knodel. “Guidelines for
>>    Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet.” (Additional rationale)
>>    [KNODEL]
>>
>> Perhaps [KNODEL] should be listed in the Informative References as the following:
>>
>>    [KNODEL]   Knodel, M., "Additional rationale for 'Guidelines for
>>               Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet'", August 2022,
>>               <https://github.com/intarchboard/workshop-m-
>>               ten/blob/main/papers/Knodel-Guidelines-for-Performing-
>>               Safe-Measurement-on-the-Internet.pdf>.
>>
>> And Appendix A be updated to show the following:
>>
>>    Iain R. Learmonth, Gurshabad Grover, Mallory Knodel. “Guidelines for
>>    Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet.” [LEARMONTH]
>>
>>    Mallory Knodel. "Additional rationale for 'Guidelines for
>>    Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet'" [KNODEL]
>> -->
>
> Yes, these updates seem generally good. I don’t know if it should say “(Additional rationale)”; perhaps “(Introduction)” or “(Summary)”?

[JM] Do you prefer the following construction for the reference?

    [KNODEL]   Knodel, M., "(Introduction) 'Guidelines for
               Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet'",
               August 2022,
               <https://github.com/intarchboard/workshop-m-
               ten/blob/main/papers/Knodel-Guidelines-for-Performing-
               Safe-Measurement-on-the-Internet.pdf>.

And Appendix A be updated to show the following?

    Mallory Knodel. "(Introduction) 'Guidelines for
    Performing Safe Measurement on the Internet'" [KNODEL]

We will await further word from you and your coauthor(s) regarding other
AUTH48 changes and/or approval.

Best regards,
RFC Editor/jm