Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9277 <draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-12> for your review

rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org Wed, 03 August 2022 21:08 UTC

To: mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca, cabo@tzi.org
From: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org
Cc: rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org, cbor-ads@ietf.org, cbor-chairs@ietf.org, christian@amsuess.com, auth48archive@rfc-editor.org
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 14:08:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [auth48] AUTH48: RFC-to-be 9277 <draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic-12> for your review

Authors,

While reviewing this document during AUTH48, please resolve (as necessary)
the following questions, which are also in the XML file.

1) <!-- [rfced] For clarity, we suggest the following update to the title.
Please let us know if this is acceptable.

Original:
On storing CBOR encoded items on stable storage

Current:
On Storing CBOR-Encoded Items on Stable Storage

Perhaps:
Stable Storage for Items Encoded in Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)
-->

2) <!-- [rfced] Please insert any keywords (beyond those that appear in
the title) for use on https://www.rfc-editor.org/search. -->

3) <!-- [rfced] For clarity, may we update the text as shown below or does
this change the intended meaning?

Current:
   This document defines a stored ("file") format for CBOR data items
   that is friendly to common file type recognition systems such as the
   Unix file(1) command.

Perhaps:
   This document defines a stored ("file") format for CBOR data items
   that is friendly to systems that recognize common file types such
   as the Unix file(1) command.
-->

4) <!-- [rfced] How is the file(1) command confused?  Does it not
know the difference between the encoding and the content?
Does the encoding throw it off?  Maybe clarifying this
sentence would be helpful for the reader.

Original:
   A challenge for the file(1) command is often that it can be confused
   by the encoding vs. the content.

Perhaps:
   A frequent challenge for the file(1) command is that it can be confused
   because it cannot differentiate between the encoding and the content.
-->

5) <!-- [rfced] FYI: We updated "apk" to APK. Please let us know if there
are any objections.

Original:
   For instance, an Android "apk" (as
   used to transfer and store an application) may be identified as a ZIP
   file.
-->

6) <!-- [rfced] This sentence is a bit tough to parse.  Please
consider whether either of the suggested updates is more clear
and is consistent with the intended meaning.

Original:
   Additionally, both OpenOffice and MSOffice files are ZIP files
   of XML files, and may also be identified as a ZIP file.

Perhaps A:
   Additionally, both OpenOffice and MSOffice files are ZIP files
   of XML files, and may be identified as XML or ZIP files.

Perhaps B:
   Additionally, the application XML files of both OpenOffice
   and Microsoft Office use the ZIP archive format, and they
   may also be identified as ZIP files.
-->

7) <!-- [rfced] We had a few questions about this sentence.  If
our suggested text does not correctly capture your intent, please
let us know how we may rephrase.

a) The use of "derive...to" seems odd.  We generally see "derive...from".

b) May we clarify what is not in CBOR form?

Original:
   This includes a simple way to
   derive a magic number to content-formats as defined by [RFC7252],
   even if not in CBOR form.

Perhaps:
   This includes a simple way to derive a magic number [for/from?]
   content-formats as defined in [RFC7252] even if the file is
   not in CBOR form.
-->

8) <!-- [rfced] For clarity, may we update the sentence as follows?

Original:
   A major inspiration for this document is observing the disarray in
   certain ASN.1 based systems where most files are PEM encoded; these
   are then all identified by the extension "pem", confusing public
   keys, private keys, certificate requests, and S/MIME content.

Perhaps:
   A major inspiration for this document is to disambiguate the
   disarray observed in certain ASN.1-based systems where most
   files are PEM encoded; these files are identified by the
   extension "pem", which confuses public keys, private keys,
   certificate requests, and S/MIME content.
-->

9) <!-- [rfced] It seems like this text is referring to future
registrations, rather than values being registered by this document.
Should the regisration template refer to this document AND the document
that defines the semantics for the requested registration?

Original:
   In the template, it is suggested to include
   a reference to this specification (RFC XXXX) alongside the
   Description of semantics.
   // (Note to RFC Editor: Please replace all occurrences of "RFC XXXX"
   // with the RFC number of the present specification and remove this
   // note.)
-->

10) <!-- [rfced] Note that we changed the instance of "US-ASCII" to "ASCII".
Please let us know if there are any objections.

Original:
   The use of a sequence of four US-ASCII [RFC20] codes which are
   mnemonic to the protocol is encouraged, but not required (there may
   be reasons to encode other information into the tag; see Appendix B
   for an example).
-->

11) <!-- [rfced] "form a representation that is described by" is
tough to parse.  Is the CoAP  Content-Format number input to the
representation?  The relationship is unclear.  Please consider
whether the text can be clarified.

Original:
   For CBOR data items that form a representation that is described by a
   Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) Content-Format Number
   (Section 12.3 of [RFC7252] and Registry CoAP Content-Formats of
   [IANA.CORE-PARAMETERS]), a tag number has proactively been allocated
   in Section 4.3 (see Appendix B for details and examples).
-->

12) <!-- [rfced] Note that we have removed the relative attribute
of xrefs used to include URLs to IANA registries per discussion with
IANA.  I know we discussed this with you recently and allowed the use
of the relative attribute in another document.  Per further discussion
with IANA, they recommended against use of the registry-specific URLs.
The web portion of the style guide was recently updated to make this
more clear. -->

13) <!-- [rfced] Please review the use of "operating systems
configurations".  Is this possessive, plural, or plural possessive?

Original:
   Similarly, depending on operating systems configurations and related
   properties of the execution environment the labeling might influence
   the default application used to process a file in a way that may not
   be predicted by a protective application.

Perhaps:
   Similarly, depending on the configurations of the operating system
   and the related properties of the execution environment, the labeling
   might influence the default application used to process a file in a
   way that may not be predicted by a protective application.
-->

14) <!-- [rfced] Will the ".." notation be clear for the reader?

Original Section 4.1:
   However, the following
   16-bit big-endian value 0xf8.. is not a valid second sequence
   according to [RFC2781].

Original Section 4.2:
   However, the following
   16-bit big-endian value 0xf9.. is not a valid second sequence
   according to [RFC2781].

We typically see this used for a range of numbers.  For example,
this is from RFC 8710:

                      | Serialization  | Value      |
                      +================+============+
                      | 0x00..0x17     | 0..23      |

                      | 0x18 0xnn      | 24..255    |

                      | 0x19 0xnn 0xnn | 256..65535 |
-->

15) <!-- [rfced] Per the message from Carsten below, we have updated
instances of 63470101 to 63740101.  Please review carefully to ensure
the updates have been made correctly, and let us know if any updates
are needed.  We will ask IANA  to update the registry once the updates
are confirmed.

>From Carsten:
A user of draft-ietf-cbor-file-magic just made us aware that there
are two swapped digits in the draft we actually submitted:

The number 0x63740101, which occurs twice (and 8 times more without 0x),
has been copied incorrectly into the formula:

	• TN(ct) = 0x63470101 + (ct / 255) * 256 + ct % 255

Where it occurs as 0x63470101 (74 ➔ 47, also twice).  This number is
incorrect and does not result in the computed numbers found throughout
the draft.

Unfortunately, one of the two occurrences is in the IANA Considerations,
so the registry currently also has the wrong formula and will need to be
corrected.

We will have time to correct this in AUTH48, but I wanted to make sure
the fact that there is this mistake is known as early as possible.
-->

16) <!--[rfced] May we update the citations/reference pointing to
STD 94 to instead point to RFC 8949?  As there are a number of
instances referencing specific sections from RFC 8949, this seems
like best practice for in case more RFCs are added to STD 94. -->

17) <!-- [rfced] For readability, should "on wire" and "on-wire" be
"on the wire"?

Originals:
   ... and then return the
   actual CBOR item, which could be anything at all, and could include
   CBOR tags that _do_ need to be sent on wire.

   A.1.  Is the on-wire format new?

   If the on-wire format is new, then it could be specified with the
   CBOR Tag Wrapped format if the extra eight bytes are not a problem.
   The stored format is then identical to the on-wire format.
-->

18) <!-- [rfced] Does "compiled/serialized" mean "compiled and serialized"?
If yes, may we update this text as follows:

Original:
   Instead, the IPC that is normally sent across
   the wire is compiled/serialized and placed in a file.

Perhaps:
   Instead, the IPC that is normally sent across
   the wire is compiled, serialized, and placed in a file.
-->

19) <!-- [rfced] We are having trouble parsing this sentence.
Does "for any language that encode to CBOR" mean "for any language
that can be encoded as CBOR"?

Original:
   Additionally, this change
   allows the IPC to be described by CDDL, and for any language that
   encode to CBOR can be used.
-->

20) <!-- [rfced] Terminology

Should "tag" be capitalized when it follows CBOR?  Is "tag" lowercased
when not referring to a specific CBOR tag?  We see the following:

CBOR Tag
CBOR tags
CBOR tag numbers

In addition, should "Sequence tag" and "Tag Sequence" be consistent?
CBOR Sequence tag
CBOR Tag Sequence

-->

21) <!-- [rfced] When we converted this document to v3, xml2rfc converted

In the html and pdf outputs, the text enclosed in <tt> is output in
fixed-width font. In the txt output, there are no changes to the font,
and the quotation marks have been removed.

In the html and pdf outputs, the text enclosed in <em> is output in
italics. In the txt output, the text enclosed in <em> appears with an
underscore before and after.

Please review carefully and let us know if the output is acceptable or if
any updates are needed.
-->

22) <!-- [rfced] Please review the "Inclusive Language" portion of
the online Style Guide
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/#inclusive_language>
and let us know if any changes are needed. Note that our script
did not flag any terms or phrases.-->

Thank you.

RFC Editor

On Aug 3, 2022, at 2:03 PM, rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org wrote:

*****IMPORTANT*****

Updated 2022/08/03

RFC Author(s):
--------------

Instructions for Completing AUTH48

Your document has now entered AUTH48.  Once it has been reviewed and
approved by you and all coauthors, it will be published as an RFC.
If an author is no longer available, there are several remedies
available as listed in the FAQ (https://www.rfc-editor.org/faq/).

You and you coauthors are responsible for engaging other parties
(e.g., Contributors or Working Group) as necessary before providing
your approval.

Planning your review
---------------------

Please review the following aspects of your document:

*  RFC Editor questions

   Please review and resolve any questions raised by the RFC Editor
   that have been included in the XML file as comments marked as
   follows:

   <!-- [rfced] ... -->

   These questions will also be sent in a subsequent email.

*  Changes submitted by coauthors

   Please ensure that you review any changes submitted by your
   coauthors.  We assume that if you do not speak up that you
   agree to changes submitted by your coauthors.

*  Content

   Please review the full content of the document, as this cannot
   change once the RFC is published.  Please pay particular attention to:
   - IANA considerations updates (if applicable)
   - contact information