[Cbor] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 05 October 2021 13:34 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses@ietf.org, cbor-chairs@ietf.org, cbor@ietf.org, barryleiba@computer.org, barryleiba@computer.org, d3e3e3@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 06:34:16 -0700
Subject: [Cbor] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for the work put into this document.

Please find below two blocking DISCUSS points (probably easy to address), some
non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated even if only for
my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Barry Leiba for his concise shepherd's write-up but very
clear about the WG consensus.

Thank you also to Donald Eastlake for this INT directorate review that I am
vastly supporting:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/int-dir/6Ox8iEBMqXkUoC2aUEF3wi4-c5g/

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==

Generic comment how are link-local address (LLA) with scope encoded ? I would
expect CBOR to work also on LLA only networks... At the bare minimum, please
state that link-local addresses cannot be encoded with their scope, hence, they
cannot represent an interface.

-- Section 3.1.3 --
How can 2 valid link-local addresses (fe80::1%eth0, fe80::1%eth1) can be
represented in order to identity two interfaces ?

COMMENT:

== COMMENTS ==

I love how your start with IPv6 in section 3 and use the ASCII codes for '6'
and '4' ;-)

-- Section 3.2 --
Is there any reason why part of the IPv6 is in lowercase (as in RFC 5952) and
the other part in uppercase ? This is confusing to the reader (even if
hexadecimal numbers are obviously case insensitive).

== NITS ==

-- Abstract --
Should CBOR be expanded ?