Re: ISPACs

"Justin W. Newton" <justin@erols.com> Thu, 05 December 1996 05:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 21:48:14 -0500
To: cidrd@iepg.org
From: "Justin W. Newton" <justin@erols.com>
Subject: Re: ISPACs

At 05:10 PM 12/4/96 -0800, Tony Li wrote:

>   I can't see how ISPACs are anything but a NOOP.  If members of the
>   ISPAC connect to different providers then aggregation can't be
>   performed.
>
>?  Why not?  Yes, they have to provide transit to each other for the full
>ISPAC prefix....

And what, in reality, to you believe to be the likelyhood of this
happening.  Ok, lets look at it this way.  I am running MomAndPopsISP.  I
want PI space, so I join a ISPAC.  Ok, now I am /dependant/ upon my direct
competitors (other ISPs of the same size, and presumably in the same
geographic region in order to make a small internal network for internal
transit purposes wotrthwhile).  If /any one/ of my competitors is either
unethical or incompetent, it affects me and my users.  I'm sorry, but I'd
rather eat the IPv8 typed on razorblades than do that.  It just isn't good
business sense from my perspective.  I am suddenly dependant on someone who
I am /not/ paying, who is likely a direct competitor of mine, and who can
likely provide me no garuntee as to the technical ability of their staff.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services