One last nit

Claudio Topolcic <topolcic@bbn.com> Wed, 15 March 1995 23:36 UTC

To: iesg@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
cc: Claudio Topolcic <topolcic@bbn.com>
Subject: One last nit
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 18:25:32 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Claudio Topolcic <topolcic@bbn.com>

Folks,
	I congratulate Vint for getting an agreement signed between
ISOC and Sun. So what does this mean to the IESG? If we ignore all the
bullshit, the only legitimate part that the IESG had in all this
nonsense has been that we are supposed to vote on moving the specs to
"Proposed" (and then on from that, presumably). We have not done that
because we are restricted from doing so by RFC 1602, because the proper
agreement had so far not been executed between ISOC and Sun.
	At first glance, it looks like Vint's agreement removes this
obstacle. However, the wording of this agreement differs from anything
in RFC 1602. Now, I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the
Internet. So I can't tell whether Vint's agreement fulfills RFC 1602
or not, and if I were to pretend to, that would be laughable. And I
think the same can be said for most other people on this list.
	So if I will be asked to vote on moving RPC to Proposed (and I
don't believe there should be a reason to not bring this up for the
next telechat), I first request that someone belly up to the bar and
tell me, officially, that the requirements of RFC 1602 have been
fullfilled.  This need not be a big deal. For example, I suggest that
the ISOC lawyer, who presumably has been involved in the negotiations,
make such a statement. However, if someone else in a credible position
wishes to do so, please go ahead.
	If I won't need to vote on this matter, then this is just
advice to you all.
	Claudio