Re: [dtn-interest] Re : Re: Question

Emmanuel Lochin <emmanuel.lochin@isae.fr> Thu, 31 January 2013 10:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:55:58 +0100
From: Emmanuel Lochin <emmanuel.lochin@isae.fr>
To: sitaraman@nmsworks.co.in
Cc: Dubois Emmanuel <emmanuel.dubois@cnes.fr>, dtn-interest@irtf.org, Gelard Patrick <patrick.gelard@cnes.fr>
Subject: Re: [dtn-interest] Re : Re: Question

Hi Sitaraman

Thanks for your interest. We are currently working on these aspects for deep space communication on top of a DTN architecture with CNES (the French space agency).
In particular, we seek to integrate erasure coding inside the DTN architecture.
Note that there is also an IETF draft on this subject : http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-zinky-dtnrg-erasure-coding-objects-00.txt

Emmanuel

On 31/01/2013 02:34, sitaraman@nmsworks.co.in wrote:
> I should rather say "in addition to" instead of "as opposed to" in the below
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>   This looks great to me, thanks for this pointer. Only one scenario comes
>> to mind, if it so happens that the expected bundle loss rate, even if for
>> brief periods, is underestimated. Such scenarios could perhaps be
>> relevant in space as intense disturbances for brief period is more likely
>> than a steady noise, and with Tetrys, it would be inefficient to have the
>> expected bundle loss rate set at its peak.
>>   I am tending to think while Tetrys could be a default scheme running in
>> the DTN, DSN, there is needed a scheme that can put out fires
>> occasionally?
>> Sitaraman
>>> Hi Sitaraman

>>> Concerning this point, you'll find a study that uses such scheme to
>>> rebuild lost chunks in "Robust streaming in delay tolerant networks":
>>> see http://oatao.univ-toulouse.fr/4111/
>>> The erasure coding scheme is a specific elastic-window encoding scheme
>>> named Tetrys: see http://websites.isae.fr/tetrys/
>>>
>>> Emmanuel
>>>
>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.
>>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

Emmanuel Lochin
Professeur ISAE - OSSI
Institut Supérieur de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace (ISAE)
Issu du rapprochement SUPAERO et ENSICA
10 avenue Edouard Belin - BP 54032 - 31055 Toulouse cedex 4
Tel : 05 61 33 91 85 - Fax : 05 61 33 91 88
Web : http://personnel.isae.fr/emmanuel-lochin/
---
"This email and any attachments are confidential. They may contain legally privileged information or copyright material. You should not read, copy, use or disclose them without authorisation. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact us at once by return email and then delete both messages. We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment. This notice should not be removed"