Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

"Glen Zorn" <glenzorn@comcast.net> Wed, 04 February 2009 06:09 UTC

From: Glen Zorn <glenzorn@comcast.net>
To: Nancy Winget <ncamwing@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 13:08:49 +0700
Cc: emu@ietf.org, housley@vigilsec.com, iesg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

Nancy Winget (ncamwing@cisco.com) writes:

Dave and Dorothy:

We don't believe there are interoperability issues, as the intended
informational RFCs clearly describe the protocol and packet format over the
wire for these inner methods specifically when running inside EAP-FAST. The
so called "interoperability issue" raised is at most an implementation
issue, only applies to certain software environments where the same inner
methods are used both inside and outside EAP-FAST, and could be worked
around. This is demonstrated by the numerous existing client and server
implementations already deployed in the field (most of which support these
inner methods both inside and outside EAP-FAST), and lack of reporting of
this issue. The intent of these drafts is informational and to clearly
document the existing implementations started 5 years ago. Assigning new EAP
types isn't going to solve any interoperability problems, but is likely to
generate new ones.

It appears that you mistake the purpose of the IETF as being to enhance
proprietary protocols.  I, for one, couldn't care less if two
implementations of some Cisco Systems proprietary nonsense interoperate or
not; however, I do care about hijacking EAP type codes & subversion of the
IETF process for essentially marketing purposes.  It's hard to imagine what
interoperability problems could be caused for a pair of EAP-GTC
implementations by changing the type code and name of EAP-FAST-GTC to
something more appropriate (say, 666 & EAP-PAP ;-).

 If we were to redesign today, certainly we would probably take a different
approach to make the software implementation easier. We are open to all of
your suggestions for enhancements on the next version of EAP-FAST.

Given that you've had 5 years to get it right & failed, it's hard to believe
that "suggestions for enhancements" would have much effect.

We believe these drafts have documented these potential points of confusion.
The difference between EAP-MSCHAPVv2 inside and outside EAP-FAST is
documented in draft-cam-winget-eap-fast-provisioning. As for EAP-FAST-GTC,
the draft-zhou-emu-fast-gtc documents the difference it has with EAP-GTC in
turns of handling password authentication. As for regular OTP or token
authentication, the implementation could strip the labels and pass the rest
to the regular EAP-GTC state machine.

Sorry, I'm just ignorant: can you tell me where "the regular EAP-GTC state
machine" is defined?

How GTC handles the token exchanges is outside the scope of this draft
(under defined in RFC3748). If you do see areas of requiring more
description of the differences, we are certainly open to suggestions.

  _____