Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov> Wed, 04 March 2009 14:42 UTC

From: Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>
To: Tim Polk <tim.polk@nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 09:47:25 -0500
Cc: emu@ietf.org, "iesg@ietf.org IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

Folks,

I have been sorting through the email trail on this one.  In my
opinion, there is *rough* consensus for the notes and approach that I
proposed in this email.  Minor revisions were suggested, but the
subsequent email thread seems to show the stated text was acceptable.

I have also reviewed the "key derivation differences" thread.  To
quote Jouni's email from
24 February:
> In other words, we cannot come up with a EAP-MSCHAPv2 MSK derivation
> rules that would cleanly fit into all deployed uses and there will
> unfortunately be need for tunnel method specific exception in either
> EAP-PEAP with cryptobinding or EAP-FAST. Either way, it would be
> useful to get this documented clearly so that all future uses of EAP-
> MSCHAPv2 would be able to refer to an existing specification instead
> of having to come up with their own MSK/ISK derivation rules as was
> done with EAP-PEAP cryptobinding and EAP-FAST.

I agree that it will be good to get this documented clearly for future
specs, but do not see an impact on current specs, so I am not
requesting any further changes to the documents.

Accordingly, I have asked the IESG Secretary to forward the proposed
IESG notes to the RFC
Editor.

Thanks,

Tim Polk