Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

"Glen Zorn" <glenzorn@comcast.net> Thu, 12 February 2009 01:26 UTC

From: Glen Zorn <glenzorn@comcast.net>
To: 'Tim Polk' <tim.polk@nist.gov>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:25:52 +0700
Cc: iesg@ietf.org, emu@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

Tim Polk [mailto:tim.polk@nist.gov] writes:

> Folks,
>
> As the AD that sponsored publication of the EAP-FAST documents under
> discussion,
> I have been trying to find the best way forward.  I believe that the
> best course of action
> involves some clarifications to draft-cam-winget-eap-fast-
> provisioning to distinguish
> the modified and unmodified use of EAP-MSCHAPv2, and IESG notes to
> ensure these
> publications do not establish precedent for future reuse of EAP type
> codes with
> different semantics.

I'm sure that the IESG views its essentially invertebrate response to this
outrageous behavior as stern but fair.  If this pirating of IANA allocated
parameters is actually allowed (as it appears that it will be), I suggest
that you keep this stern warning around (perhaps as a form-letter template
so you can easily fill in the blanks); even better, publish it (suitably
modified for generality) as an RFC so the next few hundred "designers" who
can't be bothered with IANA can just reference it.