Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents

David Mitton <david@mitton.com> Tue, 03 February 2009 17:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:32:16 +0000
From: David Mitton <david@mitton.com>
To: dstanley1389@gmail.com
Cc: housley@vigilsec.com, iesg@ietf.org, emu@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Emu] Potential Notes in EAP-FAST Documents
Sender: emu-bounces@ietf.org

I'm sorry,  I haven't responded earlier either, but I would like to pile on with some of my comments.

When I read the Cisco EAP-FAST GTC description and was similarly shocked by the nature of the changes, and how poorly they technically met their own rationale.

Encoding the "REQ=" and "RESP=" into Request and Response text, is absolutely useless, since the data flow is unidirectional and known to the requester/responder peers.

And then claiming that is more efficent because the username and OTP are combined in one response, really ignores the issue that GTC doesn't define what the appropriate response is.  And they did nothing to clue the client as to what is being requested, or the format of the response.

Given that, a Client can only strip the useless cybercrud, and continue with the normal GTC state machine which is let the user type something in and send it.

A more robust OTP implementation may have several different inputs that it wants from the user besides for username and OTP.  (BTW; username could be derived from the EAP Identity)   There are possible next token challenges,  new PIN assignment (user or system generated)  and followup re-authentications.   Their protocol did nothing to codify a standard for interoperation where a sequence of requests were enumerated or named, and response items were described.

I'm all for documenting practice, but this design/implementation doesn't really seem to solve anything and just creates more confusion.

Dave Mitton