Re: [hybi] I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt

Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> Wed, 01 September 2010 23:09 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 09:09:30 +1000
From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com>
To: hybi <hybi@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [hybi] I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt

Ian,

thanks for this first draft, and I hope it indicates a new phase of
progress for the WG.

I'll be updating Jetty to support this draft immediately, but we have
an issue that there is no version information in the handshake.  Thus
in order to support this version of the draft, I risk breaking support
for previous versions, which is difficult as there are already
deployed experimental applications in the wild, interacting with real
clients with browsers beyond the control of the deployers.

Currently user-agent is not sent, so I can't even use that to
determine what version of the draft to use.

I know a standard version header is not widely accepted, but could we
implementers perhaps agree a temporary header just during this draft
phase. Something like:

  Sec-WebSocket-Draft: 1

Unless there are howls of complaint, I'll implement my server to look
for such a field and to use it as a hint when selecting the parser to
use.

cheers