Re: [i2rs] Comments on Ephemeral-REQ-07 (local config vs. ephemeral)

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Mon, 18 July 2016 17:40 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: 'Joe Clarke' <jclarke@cisco.com>, i2rs@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 13:39:49 -0400
Subject: Re: [i2rs] Comments on Ephemeral-REQ-07 (local config vs. ephemeral)

Joe:

We discussed  "treating "local config" (e.g., CLI changes) as an I2RS client
with its own I2RS priority" in order so that priority concept can resolve
conflict.  REQ-07 is a bit broader because we tagged this to the two "Knobs"
that section 6.3.1 described.  (see below) in the IETF architecture
document.   If you think the priority concept can provide the support for
the two switches and use case below, could you describe it on the list.

Your point is the last remaining point.

Sue
===============================

Section 6.3.1
=============
   The policy settings in the architecture is:

Knob 1: Ephemeral configuration overwrites Local Configuration.
Knob 2: Update of Local Configuration value supersedes and
      overwrites the ephemeral configuration.

                           Existence                              Updates
                          Policy Knob 1                       Policy Knob 2
Situation
                       ===================     ==================
   Router A     ephemeral has                     ephemeral  has
Ephemeral  is active
                         priority                                 priority .

   Router B    Local Configuration            Local Configuration
Ephemeral is recorded in Agent,
                       has priority                           has priority
but not used.  Can be turned on by

turning knob 1 to "ephemeral has priority".

   Router C    ephemeral has priority      Local Configuration
Nightly configuration overwrite

Ephemeral.