Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 20 June 2008 18:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:14:33 -0400
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Subject: Re: Appeal against IESG blocking DISCUSS on draft-klensin-rfc2821bis
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Ted:

First, looking at a diff of RFC 2821 and draft-klensin-rfc2821bis, I
do not find the argument about continuity very questionable.  This
document does include some clarification and lessons learned, and it
includes much more too.

RFC 2821 Outline for Sections 1 and 2:

    1.     Introduction
    2.     The SMTP Model
    2.1    Basic Structure
    2.2    The Extension Model
    2.2.1  Background
    2.2.2  Definition and Registration of Extensions
    2.3    Terminology
    2.3.1  Mail Objects
    2.3.2  Senders and Receivers
    2.3.3  Mail Agents and Message Stores
    2.3.4  Host
    2.3.5  Domain
    2.3.6  Buffer and State Table
    2.3.7  Lines
    2.3.8  Originator, Delivery, Relay, and Gateway Systems
    2.3.9  Message Content and Mail Data
    2.3.10 Mailbox and Address
    2.4    General Syntax Principles and Transaction Model

draft-klensin-rfc2821bis-10 Outline for Sections 1 and 2:

    1      Introduction
    1.1    Context and Notes for this Draft
    1.2    Mailing List
    1.3    Transport of electronic mail
    1.4    History and context for this document
    2      The SMTP Model
    2.1    Basic Structure
    2.2    The Extension Model
    2.2.1  Background
    2.2.2  Definition and Registration of Extensions
    2.2.3  Special Issues with Extensions
    2.3    Terminology
    2.3.1  Mail Objects
    2.3.2  Senders and Receivers
    2.3.3  Mail Agents and Message Stores
    2.3.4  Host
    2.3.5  Domain Names
    2.3.6  Buffer and State Table
    2.3.7  Commands and Replies
    2.3.8  Lines
    2.3.9  Message Content and Mail Data
    2.3.10 Originator, Delivery, Relay, and Gateway Systems
    2.3.11 Mailbox and Address
    2.4.   General Syntax Principles and Transaction Model

Note: Sections 1.1 and 1.2 are to be deleted prior to publication of
the document as an RFC.

I am not saying that any of the changes are inappropriate, but that
it is hard to claim that the changes are minimal.

Second, from my perspective, the dialogue about this document did not
happen as you suggest.

The issue was first raised in the SecDir Review during IETF Last
Call.  The text from that SecDir Review was included in my note on
this thread in response to Dave Crocker.  When I highlighted this
paragraph, the document PROTO shepherd pointed out that the
"isif.usc.edu" and "postel@isi.edu" were left in the document as a
tribute to Jon.  No one has objected to this.  This lead to a
discussion of the domain names in the rest of the document.

At least three ADs believe that the examples should be changed, and
they have comments in the Data Tracker that clearly indicate this
position.  Others feel that the examples out to be changed, but do
not consider it important enough to delay the document.

We are no having a debate to determine the community consensus on
this topic.  In addition to the people that are speaking publicly on
this thread, I am receiving a fair number of private messages.  Some
are supportive of the appeal position and others are not.  Judging
community consensus in such a situation is somewhat difficult.  I
have suggested to the IESG a way to determine the community consensus
in this case, and I am waiting to hear if other ADs think it is a
good idea or not.

Russ