Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com> Fri, 18 July 2008 19:47 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>
Subject: Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:48:06 -0400
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Jul 18, 2008, at 3:47 AM, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> On 17 jul 2008, at 23.33, IETF Chair wrote:
>
>> The IESG is considering an experiment for IETF 73 in Minneapolis, and
>> we would like community comments before we proceed.  Face-to-face
>> meeting time is very precious, especially with about 120 IETF WGs
>> competing for meeting slots.  Several WGs are not able to get as much
>> meeting time as they need to progress their work.  As an experiment,
>> we are considering adding two Friday afternoon one-hour meeting
>> slots.
>> The proposed Friday schedule would be:
>>
>> 0900-1130 Morning Session I
>> 1130-1300 Break
>> 1300-1400 Afternoon Session I
>> 1415-1515 Afternoon Session II
>>
>> Please share your thoughts about this proposed experiment.  The
>> proposed experiment will be discussed on the IETF Didcussion mail
>> list (ietf@ietf.org).
>

> so while I sympathize with the need for this, and won't argue
> against it. I do want to point out that it means that overseas
> travelers will be 'stuck' for another day (depending on where in the
> world we are, you can normally make an afternoon overseas flight,
> but not if we have an afternoon slot). So in order for you to get
> enough data - I would strongly urge you to also have an afternoon
> slot in a non-north american meeting location and only afterwards
> analyze the data.

Of course, it is hard to get a late flight back to the US from Europe
- the basic rule seems to be that airlines try not to have
flights arrive in the middle of the night. (BTW, flights to / from
India can certainly violate this in my experience.)

So, I have a 6:00 AM flight from Dublin on Saturday August 2nd. Joy.

Marshall