Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73

Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net> Mon, 21 July 2008 04:05 UTC

Subject: Re: Proposed Experiment: More Meeting Time on Friday for IETF 73
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:31:28 +0100
From: Dave Cridland <dave@cridland.net>
To: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
Cc: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>, IETF Chair <chair@ietf.org>, iesg@iesg.org, IETF-Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

The IETF mailserver will reject this mail because I have the temerity
to use IPv6 without a PTR record (and sorting that out involves
finding another nameserver), so feel free to quote gratuitously...

On Fri Jul 18 19:28:26 2008, Keith Moore wrote:
> I'm also tempted to suggest that there be an extra charge for
> attendance on Mondays (other than for WG chairs and people
> presenting material), with the proceeds split between the
> secretariat and the people doing presentations.

Definitely against this - paying per presentation just fills me with
horror. Most people have to travel over a weekend anyway, so its
either the weekend before, with all the tutorials, or after, with
nothing.

> I honestly think that "catch up" sessions could be quite valuable
> in several ways.  They could help newcomers to a particular WG get
> up to speed, they could facilitate more cross-area review, they
> could make the  real discussions more effective by minimizing time
> spent explaining things to those who weren't caught up.

Now this really makes me think - what if Monday was filled with
lightning talk style quick-fire presentations on various WGs and
documents? I suspect more or less one track per Area or perhaps AD
would work, with presentations limited to 5 or 10 minutes. There's no
need to limit this to just WGs, either - key WG docs could have their
own talk, as could individual documents.

The result would be that on Mondays, attendees could very easily do a
catch-up and cross-area run.

I think we would really benefit from this, as it'd provide an
excellent place to gain good cross-area awareness - and that ought to
breed better review and integration.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net