Re: On diversity in the NomCom

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Mon, 13 July 2020 15:20 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 17:19:28 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Stewart Bryant <stewart.bryant@gmail.com>
Cc: Bron Gondwana <brong@fastmailteam.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: On diversity in the NomCom

Earlier on when i had started a thread about the max2 rule suggesting that
its unfair to single out one specific criteria as a limiter, most responses
seemed to go in the direction of "but we had to do it, or else big
companies had too much influence, and: doing more would be too much work".
Aka: any more diversity criteria will be met with a lot of resistance.

As well meaning as those additional criteria are (and i was suggesting
country as another one), this is not going to happen for this NomCom.

What i instead suggest to anyone interested in best NomCom selection output,
is to educate yourself about the candidates and bring your personal
analysis of facts at hand as feedback to NomCom. Look at candidates prior
document reviews, work as chair or other role, author, personal personal interactions
and other relevant background.

Hearsay and tribal marketing "i like candidate foo, because i share tribe
bar with her" is not very useful to NomCom and may easily lead to annoyance
when it is stacked by obvious tribes like company affiliation. Indeed,
this may even backfire for candidates.

In my experience, the most important feedback for NomCom when i served was
about long held grudges, sometimes as far back as more than one or two decades.
To those who want to bring forward grudges about candidates, i would suggest
to first attempt to have a disccuss about them with the candidate, e.g.:
in PM, and then make up your mind.

Cheers
    Toerless

--