Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com> Thu, 13 July 2000 03:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:07:06 -0600
From: Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com>
To: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-nat-protocol-complications-02.txt

> From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>

> face it, it's not the superior quality of AOL's service that keeps
> AOLers from moving - it's their susceptibility to marketing BS and
> their addiction to chat rooms.  it's hard to help those people.

Other than latency, message size, message rate, and the number of
participants, what is the difference between an AOL chat room and this
mailing list as exemplified by this thread?

I don't intend to imply anything bad about this thread or suggest any of
the participants do or stop doing anything.  I've never subscribed to AOL,
never used an AOL chat room, and the closest I've come to something like
IIRC is the BSD UNIX `talk` and `write` commands and SDS-940 predecessors
in the 1960's.  However, I don't think that confers any virtue, and I hope
it doesn't blind me to all of the similarities between pots and kettles.

Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com