Re: [EAI] Shepherd report review of mailinglist-02

"Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Fri, 13 July 2012 11:26 UTC

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:27:05 +0900
From: "\"Martin J. Dürst\"" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
To: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
Cc: John R Levine <johnl@taugh.com>, EAI WG <ima@ietf.org>

Hello John, others,

On 2012/07/13 8:08, John C Klensin wrote:
> WG participants,
>
> I've responded to some of John L's points below -- read or not
> as you like.  Either way, consider this a heads-up that we will
> ask Pete to start the process of initiating an IETF Last Call in
> circa 24 hours.  So, if there is anything here you don't like,
> this is your last chance to speak up inside the WG.

I'm sorry, but I feel I have to take this chance.

As you can see in detail in a mail that I sent a few minutes ago
(Subject: Confusion about backwards-compatibility of 3987bis/IRIs), I
think that the very recent removal of the reference to RFC 3987 (and
possibly also RFC 6068, but then other URI schemes are also not
mentioned with a reference) is based on confusion only and is a
disservice to the reader.

Also, my proposal of different text for the "%-routing problem", which
is clearer about the source of the problem, in particular that it's an
implementation problem (correct escaping/unescaping) and not an a-priori
problem, hasn't been taken into account, and I don't know why.

For your reference, here is the current draft text:

<<<<
    The encoding technique specified in [RFC3986] is to use a pair of hex
    digits preceded by a percent sign, but percent signs have been used
    informally in mail addresses to do source routing.  Although few mail
    systems still permit source routing, a lot of mail software still
    forbids or escapes characters formerly used for source routing, which
    can lead to unfortunate interactions with percent-encoded URIs or any
    URI that includes one of those characters.
<<<<

and here is (roughly) what I proposed (and still think) it be replaced with:

    The encoding technique specified in [RFC3986] and [RFC3987] is to use
    a pair of hex digits preceded by a percent sign, but percent signs
    have been used informally in mail addresses to do source routing.
    The correct processing steps when interpreting a mailto: URI are to
    unescape %-encoding and then to interpret the resulting mail
    addresses and other information. Unfortunately, not all mail software
    does this correctly. As a result, % characters indicating URI
    encoding can be erroneously included in actual mail addresses.
    Although few mail systems still permit source routing, a lot of mail
    software still forbids or escapes characters formerly used for source
    routing, which will make incorrectly un-decoded mail addresses
    undeliverable, or in very rare, accidental cases, delivered to
    the wrong addressee.
<<<<

There is some more in
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ima/current/msg04924.html, which
may also benefit from a more careful consideration.

Regards,   Martin.