Re: [Inip-discuss] Domain Names

Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org> Fri, 18 December 2015 20:29 UTC

From: Edward Lewis <edward.lewis@icann.org>
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, Gihan Dias <gihan@cse.mrt.ac.lk>, "inip-discuss@iab.org" <inip-discuss@iab.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:29:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.47.234]
Subject: Re: [Inip-discuss] Domain Names

I'm not sure if that answers the question, but the pointers are helpful.  It
might seem odd that I posted to the list without knowing of this material,
but I didn't get on the list in a conventional way.

In the description on the program page, I see a reference to RFC 6055 "IAB
Thoughts on Encodings for Internationalized Domain Names" (I encourage the
use of document titles and not numbers if you want clarity!).  I don't think
that that document is the best starting point for the discussion.  It's
useful, but not the start.  For one, it's related to one use case - names
rendered in ways not compatible with the DNS (aka IDNs).  IMHO, any thinking
on this topic that starts with the DNS and pushes outward is like the
mindset that Copernicus fought - that is, people believed the Earth was the
center of the universe and tried to explain planetary orbital dynamics as
relying on the Earth as center of the frame of reference.  If we do that
we'll have really ugly formulas to predict where the planets will be seen in
the night sky.

The DNS is an outlying planet in this game.  The DNS supports a subset of
what could be called Domain Names, setting aside that there's never been a
formal definition of Domain Names.  Gathering up the uses of Domain Names in
various applications and protocols that have been reviewed in the IETF,
Domain Names aren't even the only way to create a naming system.  (Prior to
the maturation of the DNS there were many commercial attempts.)

The DNS by itself isn't a naming system.  As a protocol, it's a distributed
database that scales really well and manages to deliver answers quickly.
It's not so hot when it comes to it's data model and other features.  (In
the office yesterday, I used the analogy that one could transport a couch in
a two-seat convertible with the top-down, but there are better tools for the
job.  The DNS can do a lot, but it is strongest in just two areas.)

(It's always bothered me - a DNS name is a name, an address, and a route.
It's a name in the sense that in isolation, it denotes a unique thing.  It's
an address inside the DNS data model tree.  It's a route telling one how to
find the data in the servers, because you always start at the root.  Now in
naming system 'theory', the three are supposed to be different - names are
absolute, addresses are relative to the object's location, and routes are
relative to both the object and the seeker's position.  Somehow in DNS that
all collapsed, maybe now I am beginning to understand why.)

When I began working on the draft called Domain Names, I had to divorce
myself from believing the DNS was the origin of all of this.  After the
early research I realized that the DNS was more like, well maybe, Jupiter
than the Sun in the conversation to be had.

RFC 6055 is an important document in a survey of how identifiers using
non-ASCII characters are rendered into protocols that assume ASCII.  From an
architectural layering perspective, how a name is converted into the binary
transmissions is way down in the stack.  (When I wrote my draft and early
review convinced me to not go down that far in such a stack, which is why
this sticks out to me.)  I don't have a well cooked layer of stacks in mind
but I would say that figuring out how to convert the identifier from a name
to something useful (like a network address), that is, how to resolve the
name, is more significant.

I mentioned before the draft Domain Names.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lewis-domain-names-01  The draft is
incomplete because, "there's a conversation to be had."