RE: clarification of blanket statement text

"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> Tue, 15 February 2005 23:13 UTC

From: Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com>
To: 'Scott W Brim' <sbrim@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:05:22 -0800
Cc: ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: clarification of blanket statement text
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

Scott Brim wrote:
> That's not relevant to the question I asked, Larry.

I know that I didn't answer the question you asked. My point was that you
(and some others here) keep asking irrelevant questions! Quit tinkering with
the present policy and fix what's needed.

> In previous discussion I believe we
> concluded that "no license required" was generally considered easier
> for a WG to deal with than "royalty-free", but this paragraph only
> mentions the latter.

I don't know how you can conclude, based upon the discussions that have
raged on this list for more than a year, that "we concluded" anything of the
sort.

Neither "no license required" nor "royalty-free" is acceptable by itself.
The previous discussion did not resolve anything at all. The attempt by some
here to foreclose meaningful discussion about basic IPR policy is obviously
not working.

Does it surprise you that so many patent grants filed with IETF are
impossible to understand and to evaluate? That all companies, including your
own, aren't quite sure what they're getting when they adopt IETF standards?
Nuanced patent declarations filed with IETF that identify no specific
patents and promise nothing of importance with relation to them are
meaningless. The fact that the IETF IPR policy allows such crap is an
invitation to disaster.

Does using the word "crap" make me a zealot?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)