RE: clarification of blanket statement text

"Powers Chuck-RXCP20" <Chuck.Powers@motorola.com> Mon, 21 February 2005 23:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:54:47 -0600
From: Powers Chuck-RXCP20 <Chuck.Powers@motorola.com>
To: rbarr@cisco.com, "Contreras, Jorge" <Jorge.Contreras@wilmerhale.com>, Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "George T. Willingmyre" <gtw@gtwassociates.com>, Scott W Brim <sbrim@cisco.com>, ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: RE: clarification of blanket statement text
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

I think it would make sense to note that blanket statements are no
longer effective for IDs submitted after 3668 was published, even if the
blanket statements were submitted prior to the adoption of RFC 3668. In
those instances, more specific disclosure statements are called for by
the terms of 3668.

IMO this could be done with a simple statement on the IETF IPR web site,
indicating that blanket IPR statements which do not conform to the terms
of RFC 3668 are not effective for any contributions made after the
publication date of RFC 3668 (whatever that specific date is). I don't
know if there is added value in marking each individual declaration; it
might be easier simply to organize them into a single group on the web
site.

However, those statement are still in effect for any work and/or
contributions which preceeded the official adoption of RFC 3668, and
this, too, should be made clear. No one is required to go back and
restate IPR assurances for work/contributions which took place under RFC
2026.