Re: [IPsec] I-D on Using the ECC Brainpool Curves for IKEv2 Key Exchange

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Thu, 08 November 2012 21:44 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: "David McGrew (mcgrew)" <mcgrew@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 23:44:23 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
x-kse-antivirus-interceptor-info: scan successful
x-kse-antivirus-info: Clean
Cc: IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>, Manfred Lochter <Manfred.Lochter@bsi.bund.de>, Johannes Merkle <johannes.merkle@secunet.com>, "rfc-ise@rfc-editor.org" <rfc-ise@rfc-editor.org>, Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] I-D on Using the ECC Brainpool Curves for IKEv2 Key Exchange

On Nov 8, 2012, at 4:24 PM, David McGrew (mcgrew) wrote:

> On 11/8/12 3:26 AM, "Johannes Merkle" <johannes.merkle@secunet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tero,
>>
>>> Every single option adds complexity, so I do not think we should add
>>> more optional things.
>>
>> Point compression is not the focus of our draft. Given the opposition it
>> is facing here, I suggest to wait for further
>> replies and if point compression turns out to be objected by the majority
>> on this list, I will not insist on this feature.
>> BTW: In an earlier thread Dan Haskins has already indicated his
>> preference to leave point compression out.
>>

>>> Not sending the CERT, but replacing it with hash and url offers much
>>> bigger savings, and people are not even doing that.
>> You can not be sure that this option isn't used is some constrained
>> environments.
>>
>> Just a note: the relative saving of point compression is larger when
>> sending hash + URL instead of the CERT.
>
> What's the scenario here?   If hash + URL is sent, the certificate still
> has to be retrieved.  It might not be part of the IKE exchange, but moving
> it to HTTP doesn't mean that it doesn't contribute to bytes on the wire
> (or over the air, in the case of wireless).

Since we tend to meet the same people all the time (or communicate with the same parties), usually the hash+URL would lead to retrieving the certificate from a cache, rather than from a remote web server.

Of course, if my implementation is running on a "thing", it doesn't have a cache and this argument doesn't apply.

Yoav