Re: [IPsec] I-D on Using the ECC Brainpool Curves for IKEv2 Key Exchange

Johannes Merkle <johannes.merkle@secunet.com> Fri, 04 January 2013 12:10 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 13:10:00 +0100
From: Johannes Merkle <johannes.merkle@secunet.com>
To: Andrey Jivsov <openpgp@brainhub.org>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPsec] I-D on Using the ECC Brainpool Curves for IKEv2 Key Exchange

Hi Andrey,

point compression has been deleted from the draft due to the strong objections in this WG. The possibility to choose
from two distinct encodings was considered inappropriate complexity given the limited benefit.

Generally, I think that your draft has its value, albeit probably not for IKE.

Some nits:
Line 256:
   Recall that the x is an integer in the underlying finite field.
should be
   Recall that the x is an element in the underlying finite field represented by an integer.
                           ^^^^^^^                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Line 352:
   When p = 4*k+3, as is the case of [SuiteB] the Brainpool curves
should be
   When p = 3 mod 4, as is the case of [SuiteB] and the Brainpool curves
            ^^^^^^^                             ^^^
Remark: Writing p = 4*k+3 is unfortunate, as k has been used to denote the private key in Section 4.2

Section 5:
   First, key pairs must be generated as defined in Section 4.2 to allow
   compact representation.
But, as you have pointed out in Section 3:
   Some protocols, such as ECDH, don't depend on the exact value of
   the y.
Thus, in these protocols, it does not matter, if the key is "compliant" or not. This should be explained, not only in
Section 5 but also in the beginning of Section 4.2.

regards,
Johannes