Re: [IPsec] New PAKE Criteria draft posted (def. of gateway)

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Sat, 27 March 2010 19:15 UTC

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:15:42 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org, Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>, Kaz Kobara <kobara_conf@m.aist.go.jp>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] New PAKE Criteria draft posted (def. of gateway)

  Hi Yaron,

  You say below, "If a protocol can be specified for the general use case,
that's very well. But there will be protocols that are only applicable
to some specific use cases, and that's fine, too." But then the criteria
document says, "This document is limited to the use of password-based
authentication to achieve trust between gateways."

  So basically the criteria document is specifying it for a particular
use only when there is no protocol issue that would prevent it from being
used in the general case. It should be "very well" if it worked "for the
general use case" but the criteria draft is preventing it from doing so.

  In RFC 2409 it was not possible to do the "remote access" thing with a
PSK because protocol limitations forced the PSK to be bound to one IP
address. That's an example of a protocol limiting usage. But I don't see
that now. What could possibly limit what we're talking about _right now_
to some narrow uses? Maybe when we get around to designing the protocol
we'll run into something, and as you say "that's fine". But now, there is
nothing to limit us and no reason to, a priori, say something is for
"gateways" only.

  Of course, I could be wrong. So maybe you could explain why there is
some protocol issue that prevents using password-based authentication in
the general case.

  Dan.