Re: there _is_ IPv6 NAT - just look for it

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Sun, 16 March 2014 18:43 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:42:44 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: there _is_ IPv6 NAT - just look for it
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org

Le 16/03/2014 13:02, Hesham Soliman a écrit :

> Brian,
>

>>> I agree with this in a sense: IPv6 address space is huge and
>>> hence the IPv4 NAT is unnecessary.  IPv6 being embraced in more
>>> and more places is a witness of this success.  It solves the IPv4
>>> depletion problem in a more Internet way than the architecturally
>>> e2e impossible way of NAT IPv4.
>>>
>>> But, until cellular and some DSL operators provide something
>>> shorter than a single /64 to a single SIM end user,
>>
>> Yes, that is a shocking error in the 3GPP world, but that doesn't
>> mean that the IETF should legitimise it.
>
> => The IETF, represented in the IPv6 (ng) at the time specifically
> asked for the /64 to be allocated by 3GPP. This is documented in RFC
> 3314.

This recommendation seems to not have considered the practical
realization of of mobile hotspots.

Maybe because in year 2002 when that RFC 3314 was issued there were no
cheap smartphones with cellular and wifi interfaces.  Nowadays these are
common, and the practical experimentation with them shows its
qualifications are less relevant.

For example, RFC3314 says:
> Because multiple IPv6 hosts may attach through a 3GPP handset, the
> IPv6 WG recommends that one or more /64 prefixes should be assigned
> to each primary PDP context.  This will allow sufficient address
> space for a 3GPP-attached node to allocate privacy addresses and/or
> route to a multi-link subnet [MULTLINK], and will discourage the use
> of NAT within 3GPP-attached devices.

This paragraph seems to miss the fact that the privacy addresses are
also 64-length IIDs and that multi-link subnets have issues (see the
64share draft).

This paragraph discourages the use of IPv6 NAT and offers alternatives
which are not valid either.

This RFC is also silent about the only real Prefix Delegation (DHCP):
> Note that [PREFDEL] cannot be considered stable and has not, at this
> stage, been adopted by the IPv6 WG as a WG document.

All in all the RFC is no alternative to IPv6 NAT and does not render it
unnecessary.

Alex